Archive for January 2010
Today I am thankful for…
- My daughter. She challenges me every day. She makes me smile.
- A hot shower.
- Toilet paper
- My mother’s love for me.
What are you thankful for today?
Dear Pothole Street Department,
When it snows 5 inches, that is when it is time to get out the snow plows and the salt.
Plow my street then.
Do not wait till 4 days later when everything has been packed down into ice, and plowing does absolutely no good whatsoever.
Also, if it snows only about an eighth of an inch, like yesterday, my street doesn’t need plowed and salted 3 times.
I could do a MUCH better job
Now, on to the questions.
- When did you last feel you were required to jump through meaningless hoops to get something you wanted?
- What kinds of hula hoop memories do you have?
- How do you feel about basketball?
- What do you think of hoop earrings?
- What’s your favorite Whoopi Goldberg movie?
1. Yesterday when I was doing my taxes.
2. I stunk really bad.
4. I love hoop ear rings, but not the humongous ones.
5. I don’t much care for Whoopi, plus she doesn’t have eye brows…ewwwwwwwwww!
Do you remember around the middle of last October when I showed you this.
Then the next day we purchased this, because Superman had to have a way to work, but it spent the next 3½ weeks in the shop.
Around the end of December we purchased this, because the boy’s car decided it just couldn’t take living any more, so he was using the green car, Superman was driving this, and all was right with the world.
Last night I got a phone call from the boy…
and oh! you know where this is heading.
He hit a deer.
A big deer.
I told him his next vehicle had better be an M-1 Abrams.
PS. He is just fine.
Today’s TWD selection of Cocoa-Nana Bread came from Steph of Obsessed with Baking.
And I didn’t make it.
I just couldn’t get passed the whole chocolate bread with banana’s in it.
It just kind of makes my tongue go ewwwww, however if you like the whole chocolate/banana combo, go check out Steph’s blog, she has the recipe.
Instead, I’d like to show you one of my Christmas presents.
Gigantor Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.
They are seriously 4″ in diameter and 1″ thick.
And they will take even the most serious chocolate lover an entire week to eat just one.
They make me happy that chocolate and peanut butter go together.
My girl is just fickle.
Fickle, fickle, fickle!
Over a year ago, she insisted that she have short hair, and would I please, please, please cut it for her.
So I did, then I took her to my hair dresser to fix my botch job.
Then she wanted the style changed, and she wanted bangs, and would I please, please, please cut it for her.
So I did, and promptly took her to my hair dresser to fix my botch job.
Then she decided that she wanted a different look, but I learned my lesson~~I’m quick like that~~and took her straight to my hair dresser.
Now she wants to grow her hair back out.
I wonder how long it is going to take after she grows it out for her to want it short again.
A friend of mine posted a “I’m thankful for ” ….on her blog, and I thought I’d do the same.
Today I’m thankful for
- hot water
- the fact that it is raining and not snowing
- Reeses peanut butter cups
- clean laundry
- and last but not least, you Internet.
What are you thankful for today?
Hey Internet, it is Friday, and I’m nosy.
- What’s your favorite “just add water!” food?
- What’s your favorite thing to add vinegar to?
- What’s something weird you’ve added to normal food?
- What’s your favorite thing to add whipped cream to?
- What’s something you refuse to add anything to, even though most people add something?
1. Instant potatoes
2. The rinse cycle in my washing machine
3. I don’t do weird!
4. My mouth
5. Steak. I’m a purist.
The economy is so bad that …
- I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail.
- I ordered a burger at McDonald’s and the kid behind the counter asked, “Can you afford fries with that?”
- CEOs are now playing miniature golf.
- If the bank returns your check marked “Insufficient Funds,” you can call them and ask them if they meant you or them.
- Hot Wheels and Matchbox stocks are trading higher than GM.
- McDonald’s is selling the quarter ouncer.
- Parents in Beverly Hills fired their nannies and learned their childrens names
- A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico .
- Dick Cheney took his stockbroker hunting.
- Motel Six won’t leave the light on anymore.
- The Mafia is laying off judges.
- Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen.
- I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Lifeline. I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.
My brain…it is fried, and it is only 7:30 in the am.
Maybe there is something to that whole ‘over the hill’ thing.
Here are some things that you might or might not want to know.
- I’m getting burnt out on school
- I haven’t played Bejeweled Blitz in over 24 hours and it makes me sad
- Superman has diabetes
- My mother’s birthday was on the 5th of this month, and I still haven’t wrapped her present.
- I miss my sister
- I watch The Bachelor
- I let my daughter watch it too
- I haven’t seen my son in 24 hours and that makes me sad too.
- Jack Bauer rocks!
Have you ever met someone that was difficult to get to know.
You really want to get to know them, but they have this hard crusty shell.
But once you break through, they are just the sweetest people, and you just can not get enough of them.
That is exactly how today’s TWD recipe of Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars, that Lillian of Confectiona’s Realm picked for today was.
A thick oatmeal cookie base.
Then a rich chewy chocolate layer, with chopped nuts.
It was supposed to have raisins in the chocolate layer, but ewwwwwwwwww raisins!
Shoot me now!
And then a bit of the base for the top.
It was supposed to have cinnamon in the cookie layer, but I didn’t include it for one reason.
I put Reeses peanut butter chips in the topping, and I didn’t think that cinnamon would go with the theme of chocolate and peanut butter.
This was a fun, quick and easy dessert.
It was fabulous tasting, and I plan on making this again and again.
If you’d like to make these, go check out Lillian’s blog. She has the recipe.
Make sure you have a full glass of milk to drink when you eat these, because they are rich!
A thick heavy oatmeal base.
Hi there, Internet.
I missed you over the weekend, but I was busy.
You see I have been making the boy a sweater….for Christmas.
Yes, I gave it to him unfinished.
Yes, I’m a bad mother.
So I get to almost finished with it, only to realize that I messed it up.
So now I get to FROG it down to the arm pits…
He might get it before next winter.
It is Friday, and I’m nosy!
Here are the questions of the day.
- What’s something you frequently misplace?
- For whom are you often mistaken?
- When were you last misinformed about something important?
- Where in your home do you have a seemingly random collection of miscellanea?
- When you meet someone for the first time, what qualities in the other person are likely to cause you to misjudge him or her?
I have been sitting here thinking of so many different witty things to post, but I’m coming up blank.
All I can think of is the suffering going on in Haiti.
You have a
- 2½ pound chuck roast,
- 4 carrots, and
- 4 potatoes.
What would you do with it???
It is Tuesday again, Internet, and time for another episode of TWD.
Only TWD has been preempted.
How in the world could I let preemption happen?
Uh….because I didn’t make today’s selection of Mrs. Vogel’s Scherben picked by Teanna of Spork or Foon?. I didn’t make them because I would basically be the only one eating them this week, and quite frankly they didn’t appeal to me.
Don’t be a hater.
Instead, I’m gonna show you how to make a Bird of Paradise.
The boy has been taking a Garde Manger class this quarter, and couldn’t wait to show me how to make this lovely little thing.
First you grab an apple, begin to mess with it, but wait! gotta send a text first.
Mix some water and lemon juice.
Sharpen mom’s wee knife instead of using the professional knife that mom bought for college, because that might take him away from the texting.
Slice a wee bit off the bottom and dip into the lemon juice.
Dip the bottom, too because we don’t want it turning brown.
Slice three ovals into the apple, getting larger as you go. You can see how they are being cut.
Dip all the pieces into the lemon juice, stopping only to text.
Cut out a chunk for the neck.
Fan out the ovals on the sides.
And on the top.
Take the bottom piece and wack wee bits off.
He didn’t show me how to do this because of the texting.
Take a wee bit of tooth pick and attach the head, and voila.
Bird of paradise.
Isn’t it lovely?
But who? who could be the beneficiary of all that texting???
Why his sweet girlfriend Bethany of course.
I have lost them Internet.
Lost them to the cell phone.
Every. single. one. of. them.
And they aren’t texting other people. They are texting each other.
And I’m wimpy when it comes to cold and snowy…because hello!……..Cold…I’m just not your fan!
Snow ball fights…not my thing.
Hot chocolate, blankie and remote! I’m so there!
And even when the boy shovels the walk and the car out, I don’t leave unless it is absolutely necessary…which is today because we are out of groceries.
First of all I have to say….
GOD IS SO AWESOME!!!
Superman has a job!
Thanks so much for your prayers and kind words. You’ll never, ever know just how much they mean to me.
Secondly, it is Friday Internet, and I’m nosy.
Here are your 5 questions for today.
- What’s something you wear only when you’re just about out of clean clothes?
- Who’s someone you hang out with only if nobody else is available?
- What’s something you eat only when the budget is really, really tight?
- Who’s someone you call for help only if you absolutely must?
- What’s something you’ll watch on television only because it’s slightly better than watching nothing?
1. I wear my nightgown when I’m almost out of clean clothes.
2. I’d prefer to be by myself.
3. Boxed mac’n'cheese
4. My mother-in-law
5. Roseanne re-runs
The week between Christmas and New Years was spent with family.
Family with beautiful babies.
We ate all sorts of yummy food.
I took all sorts of candid photos.
And we played Apples to Apples, of which I didn’t win.
I lay the blame solely on my mother who chose Rush Limbaugh over God for the card “Trustworthy”.